[SI-LIST] speaking of usb

  • From: "Eric Steimle" <steimle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:30:00 -0500

Well speaking of USB I'd love to know what you all think of this.  I'm
working on a new USB 2.0 high speed design.  I was planning on using a
four layer board of course, but no our customer has demanded a 2 layer
board.  Which of course means my boss has demanded a two layer board
(despite my advice, math, and protests.)  Now since on a two layer board
of about 50 mil thickness (FR-4) the required trace width for 45 Ohm
would be about 100 mil I was thinking that perhaps a coplanar waveguide
could be used.  I've seen some with short ground planes around them but
I'll admit that I don't know much about them and am only now starting to
read up on them.   Is there a more knowledgeable soul out there who can
shoot this idea down / point me in the right direction / find me another
job where I don't have to deal with these people.?

Thanks

Eric

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org