[SI-LIST] Re: spatial resolution and effective rise time of VNA with TDR time-domain option

  • From: "D G" <dgun@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 01:27:51 +0800

Jeff,

I've used Agilent (HP) VNAs and have not had a problem with the Time-Domain
option.  When the cables are calibrated, then the response begins at time 0 and
is easy to follow.  If you memorize the discontinuity signatures (shunt c,l;
series c,l; loss; short, open) then it's easy to see what's going on if you
have enough spatial resolution.  It's also useful to be able to switch between
impulse and step response at the touch of a button.

I use time-domain in both production and design.  In production it helps to
locate the problem area for troubleshooting.  In design it helps to minimize
discontinuities, improving signal transmission.

The gating feature is useful for mathematically removing fixtures.

Of course, your rise time is limited by bandwidth, and bandwidth is expensive
in a VNA.

- Daniel

From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>

--