[SI-LIST] Re: spatial resolution and effective rise time of VNA with TDR time-domain option

  • From: "Lewandowski, Bob" <blewandowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:45:32 -0600

In a past life I used the 8510 NWA TDR capability to spatially correlate
S-parameter data to the time domain to optimize the geometry of a low
reflection transition from coax to a small planar device.  It was a slow
and tedious process, but we were able to build a structure that had 30db
return loss from dc to 18 GHz while transitioning from 7 mm coax to a 7
mil resistor.

The time domain gating capability is also very handy to extract the
S-parameters of a fixtured DUT while eliminating or reducing the
contributions of the fixture.

---Bob Lewandowski
   Stratos Lightwave

List archives are viewable at: