[SI-LIST] Re: off-diagonal resistance and conductance elements

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:09:29 -0800 (PST)

I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but thought I'd contribute my
.02 worth to the discussion.

There are at least 3 common matrix types encountered in the study/discussion
of coupled transmission line capacitance matrices:

1)      Branch matrices
2)      Maxwell matrices
3)      Other Conductors Grounded (OCG) matrices

        The branch matrix is accepted by most spice simulators when
        it is expecting capacitance matrix numbers. (the U element
        for example)

        The Maxwell matrix is commonly used internal to the spice
        simulator in the capacitance MNA stamp definition. Some field
        solvers output this matrix

        The OCG matrix defines the capacitance of a conductor with all
        other associated conductors grounded. Some types of test equipment
        output this. Some field solvers can also output this if requested.

Mathematical transforms allow one to translate between matrix styles.

(See appendix A in the later Hspice model manuals or chapter 21 in
the older Hspice manuals for a discussion and equations)

-Ray Anderson
Sun Microsystems Inc.

>You don't need to translate the model if using the W element or equivalent
>which most SI simulators use. This is the ideal way to represent
>transmission
>lines but requires the simulator to "speak the same language".
>
>Best regards,

List archives are viewable at: