[SI-LIST] Re: Using general purpose computer tools to solve SI problems

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:10:36 -0700

Martin

For large file manipulation I like an obscure $80. editor called VEDIT (
www.vedit.com ).  It screams at pattern match and regular expressions with
a very nice C like macro language that is very very fast and handles
enormous files in any format.  I have owned versions all the way back to
the S100 days.  The programmers are fanatics who do most everything in
assembly.  I am trying to move some of my utilities into Python which is a
very nice and very rich high level language.  ActiveState provides the
environment under the GNU public license.  They make their money with the
IDE plug in to Visual Studio.

Steve
At 08:48 PM 9/29/2004 -0700, Martin Euredjian wrote:
>I've found many uses of Excel and Word, primarily when coupled with the VBA
>automation tool or an external program that gains access to the data.  Word
>is very nice to format and parse ASCII files.
>
>Excel has found its way into two fairly extensive applications (months to
>develop).
>
>The first is as a data entry/maintenance system for EDA tool schematic and
>land-pattern symbol development.  This is significantly easier to manage
>than doing it the CAD way, particularly if you are dealing with large BGA's
>with hundreds of pins.  For example, I can define a 500 pin BGA's land
>pattern and choose to slice and dice it in different ways for different
>schematic symbols according to the project needs.
>
>The other interesting use for Excel is as the data entry/database system for
>an automated code generator that produces very large and complex
>table-driven state machines for embedded systems (well, 8051 assembler at
>the moment, C as soon as the need arises).  An obvious application is the
>generation and maintenance of a menu system for an embedded device.  You can
>move menu branches around, add and delete branches, even edit names, etc.
>and, after a few clicks, have new code to cut and paste into the source
>file.  A HUGE time saver, not to mention the very valuable avoidance of
>human data-entry error due to the tedium and repetition involved.
>
>I have found applications that require more than the 2^16 rows Excel offers.
>In this case, I've used MS Access to import and manipulate comma delimited
>files with hundreds of thousands of rows.
>

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Martin Euredjian
>eCinema Systems, Inc.
>voice: 661-305-9320