[SI-LIST] Re: Stack up for EMI reduction,plane resonance and u-str ip radiation etc etc

  • From: "Istvan NOVAK" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:27:29 -0500

Steve,

Well said.  Given the fact that there is still hardly any bypass capacitor
on the market where the designer would have a known range for its ESR,
selecting the largest value cap in a ceramic case style, and creating a
single deep V seems to be a good working compromise.

There are two penalties associated with this solution.  At low frequencies,
where the V shape interfaces with the impedance of bigger capacitors,
we will have to pay a factor of two either in the inductance of the bigger
caps (need twice as many) or in the capacitance of the ceramic caps creating
the deep V (if we selected the biggest capacitance in the case style, this
also
means we need twice as many).  There is a similar but more severe penalty
at high frequencies, where these ceramic capacitors interface with the
planes,
let it be thin dielectric -:) or thick dielectric.  To sufficiently suppress
the
capacitor-plane resonance and the first few plane modal resonances,
the cumulative inductance of the parts has to be several times less,
which means correspondingly more parts.  But I agree that given the
circumstances this is a safe working solution.

I hope sooner than later the industry will demand bypass capacitors
with specified ESR values (with +- tolerance) where the nominal ESR
value can be selected from a list, similar to nominal voltage, material,
etc.

Regards,

Istvan