[SI-LIST] Re: Sanmina patent on dielectric thicknesses under 4 mils

  • From: "Zabinski, Patrick J." <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:17:01 -0600

Ron,

This topic has come up on the SI-List before (three or four times
since I joined), and the end result is usually the same:
there's no work-around.

If I recall correctly, anyone using plane-to-plane spacing
less than 4 mils run up against the patent, and they
must obtain permission to do so.

The point I'm not certain on is who is responsible for
obtaining the permission.  I believe the board manufacturers
are the ones that usually assume the responsibility
for this, but I'm not certain of it.

Pat

> Hi Guys
>
> I am up against the problem of using thinner dielectric in
> order to eliminate the need for sub-1000 pf bypass capacitors.
>
> While this technique was used for many years some idiot at
> the patent office actually gave them a patent for it.  No
> novelty at all but standard practice.
>
> Is anyone else having trouble with this?
>
> Does anyone have published articles or books that document
> this use prior to 1989?
>
> If so, please let me know.  Perhaps a consortium of industry
> professionals can help to remove this travesty of the patent system.
>
> Ron Miller

List archives are viewable at: