[SI-LIST] Re: Sanmina patent on dielectric thicknesses under 4 mils

  • From: "Knighten, Jim L" <JK100005@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rmiller@xxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,rfmeas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:19:29 -0500

Ron,

Here are 2 approaches that avoid disputing the patent.

1. Get a copy of the patent (it was issued to a previous company, I think)
and read the claims carefully.  This will tell you exactly what the patent
protects and where the boundaries are.
2. or, license the use of the patent from the patent holder.  This is
commonly done.

If you violate the patent with the goal of disputing the validity of the
claims in court, expect to be quite a lot older before it is resolved.

Jim

Jim Knighten, Ph.D.
Teradata, a Division of NCR             http://www.ncr.com
17095 Via Del Campo