[SI-LIST] Re: SSO pushout, ground bounce definition

  • From: "Kai, Francis" <francis.kai@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'mark.gailus@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <mark.gailus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,chen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:20:20 -0700

Dear Gurus,

     I do not agree with Mark on certain concepts listed below, however, any

comments are welcome.

(1) "Fluctuation" has a quite different meaning if you agree with the
concept
in Statistical Mechanics or Thermodynamics. The "Fluctuation theory"
phenomena
do differ from the "ground bounce" effect occurred in signal integrity.
Therefore, if we want
to be consistent with physics (or physical concepts), the term "Power/ground
fluctuation" will
not be as nice as "ground bounce" in signal integrity.

(2) I do not see the term "voltages" is not "uniquely defined". All those
theorems,
Ohms Law, Tellegen theorem, Maxwell Equations, do represent that voltages
are well-defined uniquely in an Electrical System. These theorems satisfy
the ODE (ordinary differential equations) and PDE (partial differential
equations)
and are well-posed. Therefore, "uniqueness" is guaranteed. There is no
theorem
to prevent voltages to be measurable, like Heisenberg's Uncertainty
Principle in
quantum mechanics. However, whether Mark or any other engineers/technicians
can
accurately measure those voltages is a different story.

Best regards,

Francis Kai