[SI-LIST] Re: SDRAM bus termination

  • From: stephanie.goedecke@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 09:37:02 +0200

Hi Raghavendra

SSTL2 signals can go 0.3V past the rails.  This does not translate to lower
switching
speeds.

regards,
Stephanie

                                                   To:   si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                                                   cc:

                                                   Subject:    [SI-LIST] Re:
SDRAM bus termination

               "ragkul"                            Classification:

               <ragkul@xxxxxxxxx>

               Sent by:

               si-list-bounce@freelists

               .org

               Please respond to ragkul

Hi All,

Can somebody explain how using just one series termination results in
SSTL2 voltage levels? (Unless the driver is internally terminated to
1.25V).

Won't you be running rail-to-rail if you dont terminate to 1.25V on
board?  Doesnt this translate to lower switching speed?

Any highlights on this single series termination scheme would be
appreciated!

Thanks,
Raghavendra

--- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Biggs" <tbiggs@xxxx> wrote:

> Point-to-point is a special case.
>
> Check out Micron's site. They have an app note for doing point-to-
point
> to DDR RAM using only a single series termination on the data bus.
And
> on the address/control bus, if you run the trace to a routing via,
then
> route from the via in a 'star' with equal length legs to all the
SDRAM,
> then the address shouldn't need the parallel termination either.
There
> is enough capacitance so that there is no over/undershoot.
>
> It all depends on your drivers, memory, and cycle time. So be
careful
> and run simulations if you are doing a new design.
>
>    -tom

SDRAM
> =3D and DDR DRAM on testers using FPGAs and point to point with no =
> issues.
> =3D Without termination there WILL BE a charge up time for the data
bus, =
> 1
> =3D or two bits worth maybe, depends.  You'll see this represented
as =
> the
> =3D high/low swing gradually rising in DC level over a couple of
> successive =3D reads (or bits).  As long as you know this is
happening =
> it
> shouldn't be =3D an issue.
>
> Shane San Miguel=3D20
> Product Engineer=3D20
> Platform Memory Operations=3D20
> Intel Corporation=3D20
>

> =3D20
>
> =3D20

interface=3D20
> will be working at 120MHz and there is no other component in the =
> bus=3D20
> (point-to-point).=3D20
>
> Any termination suggested for the data bus and any other SI
related=3D20
> issues expected in this configuration?
>
> Regards,
> Ganesan