[SI-LIST] Re: Ripple Injection

  • From: Ray Anderson <reanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:36:24 -0700

Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi
> I need to inject low frequency ripple (250 mV - 1000 mV, 100 Hz - 5 kHz)
> on DC power supply (5V and 12V). Can any one suggest a vendor who makes
> such equipment, or details to put one together. Currently I am using a
> fixture designed years ago by someone in my company, but it really
> distorts the waveform at lower frequencies.
>
> I will appreciate any type of leads.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards, Ravinder

Ravinder-

The solution suggested by Jeremy in a recent e-mail (a bias tee) is
essentially the same solution we utilized at Sun for injecting ripple into
the power to investigate the effects of power noise on  frequency
synthesizer  jitter performance. We looked a a variety of options
including building a broadband ferrite core transformer driven by a
broadband (DC to 1GHz 25 watt amplifier) to inject the ripple with and
found that the bias T driven with a few volts at the desired ripple
frequency worked out the best. We ended up using a device from
Picosecond Pulse Labs(
http://www.picosecond.com/products/category.asp?pd_id=2 ) (model 5546 in
our case) . I think I posted a message on this same topic to si-list
several years ago.

-Ray

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: