[SI-LIST] Re: Resistivity of Tin/lead Plating

  • From: "David Hoover" <dhoovy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <AdeelM@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:12:32 -0700

Outerlayer Processing:
The standard US process for PCB fab on outerlayers is an
additive/subtractive
process. This means that when the PTH gets plated up, the traces and pads
get
plated up also. In order to achieve the desired .001" in the hole, there is
about
~.0014" plated on the traces and pads. Typical finished copper thickness'
are
about 1.5 oz (~.002" - provided base copper foil was .5 oz <.0007">)
The subtractive portion is when a protective sacrificial etch resist metal
is plated
over the desired pads, traces, and PTHs, then the exposed <unwanted) copper
is
etched away. Usually the outerlayers are Soldermask over bare copper
(SMOBC).
Exposed copper solderable areas (defined by the soldermask images) are hot
air solder leveled (HASL).

Soldermasks:
LPI, dryfilm, and wet masks.
By far the most common, predominate soldermask requested is LPI (Liquid
Photoimageable). The ability for this mask to define small features
(solderball pads,
QFP webs, ...etc.) and provide the gasketing effect for the assembler during
paste stenciling has it the #1 choice for requested and preferred soldermask
ink.
The other masks still have some niche markets requiring them. For example,
burn-in
boards require screened full epoxy wet mask to withstand the high oven
temperatures
for long periods of time. Probe Cards (IC testers) desire thick dryfilm mask
in order to
fully tent all unused holes for extremely high vacuum (or vacuum chuck)
testing.
Wet masks are still used as a defined selective image via plug. Some
fabricators may
use the screened wet mask image for low volume lower technology products.
Reliability of Soldermasks.....
Soldermask inks must meet the requirements of IPC-SM-840. This includes
permanency,
coverage, cure, and adhesion (to name the main few). Compatibility with
surface finishes
along with assembly processes are also a large consideration. Generally LPI
soldermask
meets the OEMs requirements.

Surface Finishes:
1. Panel Gold Plating (Flash Gold) (Or full body plated)
     If this is defined as an electroplated finish, it can be available in
both hard and soft
     gold. Hard could be used for products like PCMCIA or mini-cards that
have both
     solderable requirements and some plug in edge fingers. Soft gold would
be for
     only solderable images or other specialty wire bonding requirements.
     These gold thickness' are typically 8 +/- 4 micro inches thick.
2. Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold (ENIG)
    This is generally done after soldermask and gets applied to exposed
copper areas.
    This finish is common and (in the US) is the #2 requested surface
finish.
    It costs a bit more than some other finishes like HASL.
3. Normal Gold Finger Plating (usually carried out for PCI cards)
    This a electroplated Nickel/ Gold that is a hard gold (alloyed with
Cobalt).
    The fabricator generally runs trace/buss bars off the PCB edge to a
common
     buss to provide the current during the (post etch) plating process. At
the
     edge trim (routing) stage, the trace buss/bar gets cut away along the
gold
     plated finger edge.

That covers the gold finishes except that some are available selectively.
Selectively
they generally require additional images/processes and can get rather
pricey.
There's many other finishes too that are not covered here. I agree with Fred
in
discussing these with your supplier. They are aware of what finishes impact
cost.

Cheers,

David Hoover
Sr. Field Application Engineer