[SI-LIST] Re: Relative merits of Spice vs. IBIS

  • From: "Greim, Michael" <mgreim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'alexh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <alexh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Si-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:20:53 -0400

Hi Alex,

I think that it is very common for companies
performing signal integrity to have both tools.
Simply put, the tradoff that you have is time
vs accuracy.  Running a whole board in spice
just isn't really practical, timeworthy and in
many cases not worth it.  When I run a coupled
line simulation on a single net through coupled
connectors, it is not uncommon for the simulation
over corners to run a day or so.

Getting some spice models may prove difficult if
not impossible as they are often regarded as the
family jewels (so to speak).  When you can get
them an NDA is often required.  Again the issue
of time.

Depending on how fast you are running, you may
be just fine with ibis based sims.

Just my 0.02

best regards,

Michael Greim