[SI-LIST] Re: Power planes

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, justin.tabatchnick@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:22:21 -0700 (PDT)

>Ray;
>
>Since the effective dielectric constant is a function of the reference
>ground plane distance and the trace width, ground plane distance does
>effect velocity.
>
>Justin
>Intel , Sacramento

Justin-

Effective dielectric constant is a weak but complex function of stack-up
geometry for microstrip lines where the fields around the line are partly
in the air and partly in the substrate material, however for stripline
geometries where the substrate material is both above and below the signal
conductor I don't believe there is that dependency.

-Ray
Sun Microsystems
Menlo Park, CA

List archives are viewable at: