[SI-LIST] Re: Power Plane Noise Injection

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 22:19:35 -0700

Hi Jason and the group,

As far as high frequency pulses, the Fischer Custom Communications
TG-EFT might work. Take a look at my Technical Tidbit where the
generator was used to inject pulses on a board, although the inverse of
what you are doing. In that case, I was using only 2 Amp pulses (trying
not to fry my test setup).

You should be able to get a di/dt of 20 A/ns with a peak current of 40
Amps if you crank up the generator.

The URL is: http://emcesd.com/tt2010/tt070610.htm

Another possibility is to use an IEC 61000-4-4 EFT Burst generator, 88
Amps and 20 A/ns are possible.

Doug

On 9/1/11 5:47 PM, steve weir wrote:
> Jason, the issues at HF is coming up with enough raw power, and then a
> low enough impedance connection to the PDN.  It is much easier to
> characterize devices on a purpose-built test PCB.  A large CPLD/FPGA on
> the test PCB makes a good programmable noise generator.
>
> Steve.
> On 9/1/2011 2:21 PM, jason.pritchard@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have an application that I want to create noise on a power rail and
>> determine the effects of that noise on a device.
>>
>> 1) What methods have people used to do this type of testing?
>> 2) If you use an RF transformer can you recommend a specific type/model that
>> works effectively with the lower impedance of the power planes as a load?
>>
>> I would like to simulate DC-DC switching noise as well as high frequency
>> noise.
>>
>> Any suggestions will be helpful.
>>
>> Thank-you,
>> Jason

>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>
>> For help:
>>

>> List technical documents are available at:
>>                   http://www.si-list.net
>>
>> List archives are viewable at:
>>              //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list

>>              http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net