[SI-LIST] Re: Power Plane Noise Injection

  • From: "Pommerenke, David" <davidjp@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mark Alexander" <mark.alexander@xxxxxxxxxx>, "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Vijay Chachra" <vijaychachra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 14:08:52 -0500

Group,

We have some experience with noise injection into PDN for PDN robustness
characterization. The general method injects a pretty large current into
the power plane and observes the noise voltage at different locations
and the system behavior.

Two methods seem to be working for current generation:
1) Use an arbitrary waveform generator and a RF power amplifier and some
impedance transformation to obtain enough current. The arbitrary
waveform generator can also be synchronized to some clock or software
events on the tested board.

2)  Directly inject a current from a DC source using a power MOSFET that
is driven to drive the correct current amplitude and wave shape into the
power plane.

We have not published yet, as this is on-going, but if you are
interested please contact me directly, davidjp@xxxxxxxx

Regards,

   David Pommerenke

   Dr. David Pommerenke
   Missouri University of Science and Technology (MST), former name: UMR
   118 EECH, 301 W. 16th Street, Rolla, MO 65409-0040
   573 341 4531, cell: 573 308 2019