[SI-LIST] Re: Placement of decoupling capacitors

  • From: "Greim, Michael" <mgreim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'khalida@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <khalida@xxxxxxxxxxx>,Larry Miller <lmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 08:06:28 -0400

Hi Khalid,

Well, I think that mfg would take great umbrage with
piggy backing capacitors.  For a prototype this might
be possible but not for production.  You might want to
make use of plane capacitance to help at high frequencies.
Think of what you are proposing, by piggy backing the
caps, you are minimizing the foot print but not the loop
inductance to the plane.  Essentially you are just presenting
a larger cap to the PDS.  This will move your resonant
frequency and give you perhaps unexpected behavior.

You may get some additional decoupling through the use of
smaller footprint caps like 0402 and via sharing with the
bga if in fact there is no other way to get the decoupling
in.  I can't believe that the board is so packed, that
there isn't a better alternative to piggy backing caps.
If the board is that packed, routing will prove to be your
next problem I suspect.

Do you have a .brd file that I could take a look at and
offer some suggestions on what options you might have.

best regards,

MG