[SI-LIST] Re: PDN Question

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel Brown <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 19:28:55 -0700

Joel, the idea of a limited useful frequency range of a bypass capacitor
is a misnomer. The mounted SRF sets a frequency range where the
capacitor is most effective due to beneficial phase cancellation. It is
an optimum operating frequency range, not the only effective range. The
basic and fundamental issue is and always will be impedance, which at
any frequency above audio is dominated by inductance, and resonances
that are controlled by inductance. If you had a mythical 1F, 1mOhm, 1pH
capacitor, it would have an SRF of only 160kHz. Yet, if we didn't have
limitations in the interconnects, that one cap would yield a flat
(+/-3dB) resistive frequency response from 160Hz out to 160MHz.

Putting power planes in the middle of a PCB may seem like a good idea,
but it is very costly in terms of bypass caps, as well as the attachment
inductance of the ICs. It works OK where the IC has been designed for it
through a combination of the in-package/on-die energy storage and the
number of power / ground via pairs that come out of the package. If that
combination does not satisfy the requirements of the IC, then exercising
the right combination of data patterns in the part will cause bad things
to happen. This is an ongoing industry issue and it has burned many.

This presentation:
http://www.ipblox.com/pubs/SVCEMC_Feb_2006/stack_up_vias_pdn_public.pdf
discusses the issues of stack-up and power delivery in greater detail.

Best Regards,

Steve.

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC