[SI-LIST] Re: N-port model limitations in simulators

  • From: Larry Smith <Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:31:20 -0700 (PDT)

Arpad - Yes, we throw around the word "port" a lot but not everybody
understands the meaning of the word in the same way.

In Pozar's book (page 216 of 1990 edition), he says

        "The term port was introduced by H.A.Wheeler in the 1950's to
        replace the less descriptive and more cumbersome phrase
        'two-terminal pair'."

He then cites some historical references.

Ray Anderson and I have been kicking this discussion around a lot
lately.  For the measurement and definition of S parameters, we believe
that a port has two terminals.  V+ and v- (the forward and reverse
traveling waves) are measured between these two terminals.  The current
into the port goes into one of the terminals and returns back out the
other terminal.

The confusion comes when we convert S parameters to Y or Z parameters.
Brian Young has a nice diagram on page 154 of his book.  He shows a
black box with N ports, each with a voltage and a current.  The black
box has a single wire connected to a ground symbol, so the box has N+1
terminals.  I believe all voltages for this box are measured with
respect to the ground symbol terminal.  The current on the N terminals
are defined as going into the box.  No doubt the ground terminal
carries what ever current it has to in order for the total current into
the box to sum to zero (Kirchhoff).  On page 155, he talks about the Z
matrix being the inverse of the Y matrix and he makes the comment, "If
a datum node has not been defined, then the matrix inverse does not
exist."

I believe this is the source of the confusion.  For S parameters, each
port has two terminals, leading to 2N terminals for N ports.  For Y and
Z parameters, I believe there must be N+1 terminals for for N ports.
Pozar lists a bunch of conversions between S, Y, Z and ABCD parameters
on page 235.  I believe these conversions require the use of matrix
inversion and Brian's comment about a "datum node" applies to all of
these conversions.  If you cannot define a common reference for the N
terminals, then you cannot convert the S parameters to Y or Z
parameters.

If you follow this line of reasoning far enough, I believe you find
that an electrical circuit with a single reference node has a unique S
parameter representation.  But a set of S parameters (matrix of
magnitudes and phases for each port) does not have a unique circuit.
You can convert the S parameters to Y or Z parameters (for a black box
with a single reference node), but there are many circuits that could
be built that will have exactly the same port characteristics.

There are incredibly important implications for this as we try to
convert S parameter data into a black box that is to be used in a
circuit simulator.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems