[SI-LIST] Re: N-port model limitations in simulators

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:43:49 -0700 (PDT)

Arpad-

I would define a "Port" as being defined by two "Terminals
or nodes". One of the nodes would be a 'signal' node and
the other would be a 'reference' node.

As I mentioned when I brought up this topic several days ago,
some n-port models (n >= 2) contain but a single reference for
all ports, while some conform to the tradional definition of
an n-port and provide a reference for each port.

If your model has a reference for each port then you will have
2*n terminals for an n-port. If your model only allows a single
reference for all ports then you will have n+1 terminals or nodes.

And yes you are correct, depending on how your n-port model handles
the refererence node issue, the way the n-port model may be used
may be restricted for certain purposes.

As Marek Schmidt-Szalowski pointed out this morning, by utilizing
a"perfect" transformer (perhaps an Hspice E elment) you may convert
a 3 terminal 2-port to a 4 terminal 2-port.

-Ray Anderson

>I would like someone to give us a definition of "port".
>
>The reason I am asking for this is because I think there
>is an important detail that makes things confusing in these
>global reference (as in SPICE node 0)?  Or does a port
>consist of two nodes, neither one of which is GND (node 0)
>between which the measurements are done with respect to
>each other?  The first one could also be called single=20
>ended, and the second one differential.  There may be far
>reaching implications depending on how we define "port".
>
>Arpad

List archives are viewable at: