[SI-LIST] Re: How to test the power ripple ?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icer world <icermail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 01:01:49 -0700

Whoever is saying such things, hasn't been saying them to me.  I think
you should pose your question to them.

If your concern is noise transmission through the PDN, this varies
substantially depending on where you look and what excites the PDN.
 From a power delivery standpoint only, you care about PDN noise up to
the cut-off frequency of any given IC package as mounted on your PCB.
This can be as low as a couple of MHz, or as high as hundreds of MHz
depending on the power supply and IC of interest.  A core logic power
connection may well be oblivous to anything above 10 or 20MHz, while I/O
can be sensitive to 100's of MHz.  It all depends on the specifics of
the IC.

Many power supply manufacturers specify noise and ripple as measured
through a 20MHz single pole LPF.  It's convenient for them, but as
Istvan Novak has pointed-out, allows some really ugly supply outputs to
advertise much cleaner looking specifications.  If this is a concern,
and you are not in a position to extract / impose a wideband
specification from your suppliers then you can either: periodically test
and qualify incoming product, or incorporate a 20MHz LPF into your
design. The former approach has the disadvantage of what to do with the
nonconforming supplies.  As far as the vendor is concerned the supplies
work to spec and they have no reason to take them back.  You also have
to worry about what you are going to use to get product out the door.

The latter approach has the advantage that you can rely on the
manufacturer specs as-is. Often this filter function can be realized
with a single low inductance capacitor like an X2Y(r) mounted close to
the power supply connection to the PCB, and attention to local etch.  A
further advantage of this type of approach is that the filter is
bidirectional.  The filter attenuates high frequency load noise feeding
through back to the power supply input where in many cases it is a
potential EMC issue.

Steve

icer world wrote:
> hello all:
> When  test the ripple of the power of a board ,It's said that I should test
> it below 20MHz.But I found that it's much defferent when I test the ripple
> in the full band width frequency.As I think we should test the ripple without
> any frequency limit ,or we can't observe the noise produced by other devices
> which can couple into the power system .I hope someone will give me some
> !advice,thanks

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: