[SI-LIST] How to simulate worse case eye

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:21:17 -0700

Joel,

Since the pattern generation algorithm is proprietary, Hyperlynx (HL)
should be involved.

Then the flow becomes:

1. HSPICE is used to generate test response (e.g. step response at Rx).
2. This response is provided to HL, together with bit interval then HL
builds the pattern and saves it in a file.
3. In HSPICE you specify the source of type "PAT" and substitute the
patterns generated by HL, something like:

*              vhi  vlo  del  tr     tf     bit interval
vdatap 1 0 PAT (5   0    0    8e-12  8e-12  0.5e-9       a1  a2)

.pat a1=b01110000101010100101111101000101011101101001001
.pat a2=b10111010100010101010100111110100101000111100101

The source that you described is a PRBS of a given order (in your case
order = 7). This pattern contains all possible combinations built from 7
bits, but of course it cannot cover longer sub patterns. Worst case
pattern may contain up to hundreds of bits. That's why eye diagram
estimation made from PRBS 7 could be over-optimistic.

However, if your SERDES is supposed to work with encoding (e.g. 8b10b)
then PRBS of order 6 and higher will give you some illegal combinations
(e.g. 6 or more zeros or ones in a row). Because of that, your PRBS may
also give you too pessimistic prediction.

In fact, we even cannot say if PRBS 7 or whatever it is gives us too
pessimistic or too optimistic results.

Vladimir