[SI-LIST] Re: How Do Others Do Timing Analysis Without Tool Like BLAST

  • From: "Raja Patil" <raja.patil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 09:51:23 -0700

Hi Michael,

I don't understand what you mean by generating routing guidelines by doing
pre-layout timing analysis.

Consider a memory interface with Clk,Adr, and data lines. What I do is to do a
static timing analysis-mainly hand calculation. This gives me whether there is
any set-up/hold time violation or the margins I have. Then What I do is to
route these signals of *almost* equal length or maintain the diff within the
length given by margin(ns)*6in/ns(speed on the trace). I don't do anything else.

Have I been damn lucky with my work or
this is exactly what the tools(BLAST etc.) do?

regards,
- Raja
--

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:03:41
 Greim, Michael wrote:

>Hi Harold,
>
>There are any number of ways that one can do static timing
>analysis and there are a number of tools that one can perform
>this analysis with.  I think that the biggest barrier to
>entry with most of these tools is cost.  Going to a show
>like designcon will expose you to the number of vendors that
>produce these tools and what the price spectrum may be.  The
>second element to this is what your tool flow is and how
>information can be passed forward and backward.  By performing
>pre-layout timing analysis you can create a set of constraints
>that can be used to drive your router.  This prelayout analysis
>can also set up your timing budget which can also help drive
>your placement and find errors early in the design process.
>Errors found after routing are costly from both a dollar cost
>and schedule perspective.  These constraints
>can also be used to generate drcs so your timing errors can
>be easily found at the physical implementation.   Often times
>timing analysis will be performed prior to placement to see
>if the flight times have a reasonable budget.  The timing can
>then be performed after placement using the manhatten lengths
>of the routes to perform timing and finally after routing.
>When done properly the post route sim should be quick and relatively
>uneventful.
>
>I hope that this helps.
>
>Just my 0.02
>
>best regards,