[SI-LIST] Home-brewed Power-Over-Ethernet? OT?

  • From: "Thomas Beneken" <beneken@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:22:02 +0100

The DTE Power via MDI Task Force is here:

Msg: #6 in digest

From: "Steven Kan" <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [SI-LIST] Home-brewed Power-Over-Ethernet? OT?

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:13:07 -0800

I use an Apple Airport Base Station (802.11b access point) in my home, and I

want to position it more centrally. In order to mount it on the ceiling

where I want it, I'll have to run Ethernet from the hub and run power from

the wall.

Can I run DC over the unused pairs of the Ethernet cable? Or would the noise

from the switching adapter cause problems? The adapter is a pretty

generic-looking wall-wart, and cable would be unshielded, solid-core CAT5.

The Ethernet is slow Ethernet (10 Mbps), and I'd be running it about 30

Ethernet uses two of the four pairs in the CAT5, and I could wire the

remaining pairs in whatever way would be best. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Steven Kan

Pulse Research Lab

The Quickest Way To Go Fast

(310) 515-5330