[SI-LIST] Home-brewed Power-Over-Ethernet? OT?

  • From: "Steven Kan" <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SI-List" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:13:07 -0800

I use an Apple Airport Base Station (802.11b access point) in my home, and I
want to position it more centrally. In order to mount it on the ceiling
where I want it, I'll have to run Ethernet from the hub and run power from
the wall.

Can I run DC over the unused pairs of the Ethernet cable? Or would the noise
from the switching adapter cause problems? The adapter is a pretty
generic-looking wall-wart, and cable would be unshielded, solid-core CAT5.
The Ethernet is slow Ethernet (10 Mbps), and I'd be running it about 30
feet.

Ethernet uses two of the four pairs in the CAT5, and I could wire the
remaining pairs in whatever way would be best. Any suggestions? Thanks!
--
Steven Kan
Pulse Research Lab

List archives are viewable at: