[SI-LIST] Re: Help Explaining Microstrip

  • From: "Kihong Joshua Kim" <joshuakh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:09:39 -0500

Dear SI-listers,
Here I try to make it more clear for any further discussions on the
Hall-effect and the original question about microstrip.
When I introduced "Hall Effect" in this e-mail thread, it was intended just
for "Side-Bar" with no exact mapping between this to the original question,
as I stated in the previous e-mail,
".... using magnetic field NORMAL (not tangential) to the metal (or
semiconductor) surface....".

Now, in this microstrip case as we focused, there is No(or negligibly
small) magnetic field Normal to ground plane by the current
density developed by AC field applied onto this transmission line. This is
from the well-known boundary condition derived from Maxwell's curl-H and J
relationship (One can refer to any EM text book about line path integral
alongside the infinitesimal closed loop at the metal surface).

Thus, in this case, Hall-effect is NOT applied to answer the
original question unless we are interested in the MICROSCOPIC displacement
as in the previous e-mail.

And, because of that boundary condition, the magnetic field in this geometry
is always TANGENTIAL to the ground plane at least under TEM mode assumption
as a major mode for our two-conductor system which has a narrow spatial
distance between them compared to the wavelength of the electromagnetic
wave under consideration.

Therefore, (to answer my 'gedanken' experiment,) even with corrugated
ground plane there is no Lorentz' force to make the electrons or currents to
be bunched up sideways (horizontally) but, of course, negligibly in vertical
way (a displacement less than 100um(about 3-4oz copper thickness) to build
up a micro-volt quoted from the privous e-mail).

Hope this explains a little bit better ...

Cheers,

Kihong Joshua Kim

SI in Photonics and Electronics

On 10/25/07, Eric Bogatin <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

> Paul, Dave and other-
>
> I thought I would shed a little light on this question of understanding
> the
> current distribution in microstrip at some high frequency, and at the same
> time, the repulsive force between two currents, traveling in the same
> direction.
>
> Here is fair warning- if you are not interested in this topic,
>
> DON'T READ ANY FURTHER. DELETE THIS NOTE NOW.
>
> You are both correct, but these observations apply to two very different
> situations.
>
> It is absolutely correct that there is an attractive force between two
> adjacent currents traveling in the same direction, and a repulsive force
> between them when traveling in opposite directions.
>
> This is a DC to daylight effect and is independent of the frequency of the
> current. This arises due to the force on a moving charge in a magnetic
> field
> and is the principle which gives rise to the Hall Effect. A current
> flowing
> down a wire, in a magnetic field which is at right angles to the current,
> will experience a force.
>
> The direction of the force on the moving charges is at right angles to
> both
> the direction of the current (the Ben Franklin positive current) and the
> direction of the B field. This force points transverse to the direction of
> motion, to the side of the wire.
>
> If you hold the wire in place and prevent it from moving, the charges will
>
> move to the side of the wire, push against the side of the wire and you
> feel
> it. If you hold the wire, the charge carriers will bunch up, creating a
> charge concentration.  This charge concentration will produce its own
> electric field inside the wire, preventing any net current transverse to
> the
> wire. The re-distribution in current density due to this charge
> re-distribution is a tiny, negligible effect on the current distribution.
>
> In the presence of the external magnetic field, the moving charges-
> electrons, in most conductors- are pushed to the side of the conductor,
> while the ion cores of the metal atoms are held in place by the crystal
> lattice of the metal.
>
> At DC, in the magnetic field, the current distribution in the wire is
> uniform, it's just that there is an ever so slight shift in the charge
> density of the electrons compared to the ion cores, to one side of the
> wire.
>
> When the wire is held in place so it doesn't move, the electrons, bunching
> to one side push on the side of the wire and the person holding the wire
> feels the force. They also create an internal electric field, due to the
> higher negative charge density on one side compared to the ion core
> density.
> The voltage between the two sides of the wire- the internal field times
> [...]

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: