[SI-LIST] Re: Help Explaining Microstrip

  • From: "Mark Randol" <Mark.Randol@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "SI-LIST Reflector" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:27:55 -0700

The currents try to find the lowest impedance to travel through the
transmission line (proof that Nature is 'lazy').  The lowest inductance
is obtained by traveling on the inside of the track.  (the inside track,
you might say)  The highest capacitance is also obtained by traveling on
the inside, which also lowers the impedance.

If you want to look at it from an EM perspective, the fields are
concentrated *mostly* between the conductors, so the current is as well.

The two hunks of copper don't separate because the repulsive forces are
MUCH less than the adhesion to the substrate. =20

If you want to see a case where this is NOT true, I suggest you look
into induction heating for heat treating machined parts.  I saw those
machines in action during a short stint in the automotive industry.
Those are impressive demonstrations of all those principles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_heating

--
Mark Randol, RF Evaluation & Application Engineer
ON Semiconductor

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: