[SI-LIST] Re: Guard Traces

  • From: Eric Steimle <eric.steimle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "colin@xxxxxxxxxxx" <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:37:19 +0000

All this talk about low cost consumer boards brings back memories, before I
switched to networking I did a lot of consumer product boards that were limited
to two layers.   We even did DDR2 and USB HS on 2 layer boards, although I
wouldn't advise anyone to try it ;)  Our tool vendors just threw up their hands
and said good luck when we asked if they could simulate the return currents
(except maybe some expensive 3D solvers and if you don't have money for 4 layer
boards... who's going to buy you that).

Eventually we found, at least at our volumes (1M+/year) that four layer boards
really weren't all that much more expensive than a two layer.   Maybe $0.25 -
$0.50 more depending on area, and most of our customers with better engineering
departments switched over as speeds went up.  Granted that translates into
$250k - $500k in revenue, but you also have to consider how much more
engineering dollars have to be spent to make those two layer boards work, how
much more trouble we had getting through FCC, and how much later the products
showed up to market because of all that extra effort.

But all my talking may still not void that $250k savings that management is
drooling over.  In your case you are probably doing the best you can, you could
also try GND flooding the area on layer 2 underneath the SPI traces from chip
to chip.   I'll assume your boards are around 62 mil so that's a big distance
but better than nothing.

I think your assumption that there will be near zero current flow is correct at
DC but at AC you have to consider the current that the driver will need to
drive the transmission line which will be considerably more.  Probably whatever
the SPI voltage / (transmission line impedance plus the drivers output
impedance).  It's a complex problem since it'll be hard for you to characterize
the impedance of that transmission line.  Basically though the moment that
driver activates its output transistors it's driving current to try to overcome
the capacitance, inductance and resistances that make up the line impedance.
That current will flow through whatever is the path of least impedance, which
in your case sounds like your "return" traces, but may also include any of the
cross hatching, or anything else convenient to it as it tries to make its way
back to the chip.

If you take a look at some of the texts or sites out there that talk about
using an RLC model for a transmission line, and how return current flows it
might help in understanding how it will flow in your system and why.  Oh and be
careful with those guard traces, as someone pointed out earlier today every
little deviation is an impedance discontinuity.   Such as the guard trace just
doesn't fit so you leave it out in a section, or the spacing varies.

Good luck!
-Eric