[SI-LIST] Re: Guard Traces

  • From: Eric Steimle <eric.steimle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "aaditya.kandibanda@xxxxxxxxx" <aaditya.kandibanda@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 19:48:09 +0000

So when I was a younger engineer someone (Johnson maybe) put me on to this
simple experiment I did in the lab when I was trying to convince my bosses at
the time that coupling in our system was really mostly inductive and not
capacitive.    With a little modification you can also use it to get a feel for
how well or not well a guard trace works.    All you need is a Pulse generator,
or some kind of square wave in the Mhz range, some wire, a piece of copper clad
PCB and some resistors.   Oh and motivation to go into the lab.
Anyway take your piece of copper clad and put these two wires over the top like
this, and make sure to GND the top of the copper with the GND cable from the
coax.

Aggressor (tape this down)
Pulse Generator----50 Ohm coax (BNC cable) --- 3” of Regular wire ---- R1 50
Ohm Resistor to GND

Victim
GND -------------------------------------3” of Regular wire ---- R2 50 Ohm To
GND

It’s kind of cool, if you move the victim 3” of wire closer or further from the
aggressor you’ll see the cross talk voltage go up and down when measured at R2.
   Then if you want, get yourself another wire to use as a guard trace in
between the Aggressor and Victim.   Just ground       it at both ends and
you’ll see the difference it makes (which should be pretty tiny), or go crazy
and ground it everywhere.   Just remember to keep the spacing between the
Aggressor and Victim the same in this part of the experiment or you’ll end up
fooling yourself ;)

This isn't going to tell you what to do in your system but it's a neat way to
get your head around the problem.

Good Luck,
-Eric