[SI-LIST] Re: Flight time measurements and post-route analysis

  • From: "Baranauskas, Dave" <Dave.Baranauskas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Michael_Greim@xxxxxxxx>, <twester@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:27:49 -0600

Hi All,

I agree with Michael, when he says he prefers to use input thresholds.
The fundamental issue I have with taking flight time measurements at a
single point on the receiver is that the part's Vil and Vih can be used
for binning at the foundry.  Selecting a typical CMOS crossing level of
say 1.65v for a 3.3v IO does not mean every component from a given
manufacturer will switch at exactly that voltage.  They will guarantee
input switching at the specified thresholds.  This is especially
important if you are trying to design an open standards interface such
as PC133, RDRAM, AGP, etc., and trying to broaden your vendor supply
base as much as possible (think high volume products).  In both cases,
using thresholds or a fixed voltage point, you will still wind up with
two flight time numbers for min and max cases.  If the differences are
large enough to matter you may want to take a look at other areas of
improvement and go down the safe path. This is indeed a conservative
practice; however, just because there is slight negative margin on paper
does not mean you are going to have a problem -- just a place to start
looking if you do.

Regards,

Dave