[SI-LIST] Re: Effect of Pwr-Gnd plane pairing vs. non-paired planes on signal return currents

  • From: "Yuming Tao" <YTAO@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <alexh1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:27:51 -0500

Hi, Alex

I agreed with you that there will be no quality difference (or possible =
better due to slightly less shunt capacitance) for the signal traversing =
from the top signal layer to the bottom layer in both stackups as long =
as the vertical via-transition is identical.
However, you lose the flexibility of power plane assignment if you are =
going to use power islands in your board design. Also plane capacitance =
will be reduced as you mentioned already.

Fuming