[SI-LIST] Re: Does anyone use "buried capacitance" layers?

  • From: Bill Wurst <billw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tom_cip_11551 <tom_cip_11551@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:34:10 -0500

Tom,

An alternative to the Sanmina IP is C-Ply by 3M (see:
        (http://tinyurl.com/4bw9oc)
and look for the Embedded Capacitor Material link at the bottom of the
page).  This material can be used for either buried or embedded
applications.  If you want a contact at 3M call or email:
        Joel Peiffer
        jspeiffer@xxxxxxx
        651-575-1464

Two companies that have experience fabricating boards using this
material are:
        Endicott Interconnect:
                (http://www.eitny.com/)
and
        Compunetics:
                (http://www.compunetics.com/)
I'm know there are others.

I don't believe it is widely used as it drives the cost of the boards up
(from both material & yield perspective - the cost impact will depend on
your application).  However, it is a viable technology.  Istvan Novak
has written extensively on its use and advantages.

Best regards,
     -Bill

       /************************************
      /      William C. Wurst, PE         /
     /        billw@xxxxxxxxxxx          /
    / Advanced Electronic Concepts, LLC /
   /           www.aec-lab.com         /
   ************************************
tom_cip_11551 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I first heard about buried capacitance (not to be confused with
> embedded capacitance) for power and ground, using thin dialiectrics,
> over 10 years ago, from the original papers that Hadco had published.
> I had thought that since the technology has been around for so long
> that most fab houses would be able to use it.
>
> I figured that my latest PCB, that is running signals at over 3 Gb/s,
> and has some limitations in terms of space for decoupling caps, would
> be a good candidate for a bured capacitance layer (two layers and a 2
> mil dialectric core). When I sent the board out for quote I was
> surprised to learn that only Sandmina Circuits "owns" the technology
> and very few other vendors have licensed it.
>
> So, I would like to know from the SI community at large, if this
> technology is widely used. If so, could I get the name of some
> alternate vendors that have licensed it?
>
> Also, what is the general consenus of the viability of buried
> capacitance (not embedded capacitance).
>
> Thank You
> Tom
> tom_cip_11551@xxxxxxxxxxx