[SI-LIST] Re: Difference between Protel, Mentor Graphics and Cadence

  • From: "Chris McGrath" <chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:49:12 -0700

While I am the first person to slag Protel for its limited features and
annoying "nuances" as well as confess that we just switched over all of
our engineers to Mentor Graphics, we have done a number of complex
designs over many years in Protel.  The problem is that once you get to
a certain level of complexity, Protel starts to hamper the design effort
more than it facilitates it.  It does not lend itself well to large work
groups either.

Our decision to go with Mentor Graphics was driven mainly by the fact
that our primary layout service provider uses Boardstation and we use
Hyperlynx extensively, so having the front-end with Mentor maximizes the
native interoperability.  They also offer an Agile interface that we
also use.

I used Cadence for a few years and really liked their stuff.  Like I
said, this time around the edge went to MG to keep our tool set in the
same family and because one of our design centers were already using it.

-Chris

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org