[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling for PLL (continued)

  • From: "Michael E. Vrbanac" <vrbanacm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 00:32:14 -0500

Zhangkun,

Now your problem is making much more sense to me...  and its very common.

Do something about the 333 KHz or fix the PLL filter to handle it or both.
You can decide what is most appropriate for your design.

re: ferrite bead
Of course, it'll do that.  However, I think its a distraction for you.
Work the
333 KHz issue.  The bead's effective frequency range is likely to be
over 50 MHz
unless it was selected very carefully for < 1 MHz and then its likely
not to be
the same sort of "ferrite".  A high frequency bead would be useful for
other purposes
in the same circuit but not for 333 KHz.

Michael E. Vrbanac

Zhangkun wrote:

>Dear all
>Recently, I have done some measurement. It is found that when the
>bead(inductor) is used, the power ground noise at 333KHz from VRM is larger.
>There is some noise near the clock frequency points.
>
>For example, the output clock of PLL is 50MHz. At 50.333MHz and 49.667MHz,
>there is noise, which is in proportion to the noise at 333KHz. Maybe the PLL
>modulates the noise of VRM into the output clock.
>
>Is there any SPICE model for PLL?
>
>Best Regards
>
>Zhangkun
>2004.9.3