[SI-LIST] Re: DDRAM BUS Testing

  • From: "Ihsan Erdin" <erdinih@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 07:32:46 -0400

Charles,
You have a very valid point. I'm surprised at some guidelines concerning the
noise measurements right across the decoupling cap pads. Those are the
places you'd possibly observe the lowest noise on a PCB. Move a few inches
away and the noise will peak orders of magnitude -in a cap-free zone. For a
true representation, the measurement should be taken at the Vdd pin of the
device. It goes without saying a cap at this point is the best bet.

Regards

Ihsan

On 8/3/06, Grasso, Charles <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Mike=20
>
> One thing that has vexed me in the past ( and continues
> to vex me actually ) is the measurement of noise at the
> decoupling cap. If the cap is some distance from the
> chip - the the noise seen at the cap will not faithfully
> represent the noise at the chip.=20
>
> I'd like to ask you (and the folks on the reflector)
> your opinion on the "best" location for measuring and qualifying
> power noise.
>
> Thanks!!
> =20
>
> Best Regards