[SI-LIST] Re: Capacitor surge current

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bmgman@xxxxxxxxxx, dimiter.popoff@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:45:53 -0800

Mike, this is exactly the problem.  People forget that 50V is a lot of
potential.  Connect it to a low impedance source and all sorts of things
fry easily.  Your FET smoke release problem is a common one, and it is
often worse with high transconductance devices feeding big thirsty
capacitor banks.  That is why some of the hot-swap controllers monitor
current flow to regulate the current during charge up.

People who build converters, particularly flybacks, frequently miss the
fact that at start-up, the output looks like a dead short through the
magnetics and the rectifier.  Pressman covers these topics pretty well in
his books going back to the early '80s when a 555 was still considered
useful as a control element in an SMPS.

Regards,

Steve.

List technical documents are available at: