[SI-LIST] Re: Capacitor surge current

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Christopher.Jakubiec@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 10:28:00 -0800

Chris, I don't know where you are with the design, but would urge you to
put some sort of controlled impedance between any 50V supply and
capacitors.  A 1uF 100V 1812 MLCC cap has only 26milliohms ESR.  If you
connect that to 50V, but for other parasitics, theoretically, there are
almost 2000 peak amps available.  There are lot's of little discrete
circuits you can make with a couple of transistors to control turning that
FET on in a controlled manner.  An alternative is the tried and true NTC
thermistor.  The problem with those is that they need to cool down to
reset.  So, if this is a fan tray that someone might remove and reinsert
before it cools, you will have lost your protection.  If you are blowing a
2A fuse in under 1ms, then you must have a current on the order of 100A.

Steve

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: