[SI-LIST] Re: CPW Board Launch

  • From: Ray Anderson <reanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:30:49 -0700

While not exactly what you are looking for, you might want to check out
the files stored on the www.si-list.org web site that were contributed
by Jeff Loyer @ Intel some time ago that detail an optimized  microstrip
launch structure:

See the following for details of the design and TDR measurements
:
http://www.si-list.org/files/tech_files/Launch_Structure_Description1.doc
http://www.si-list.org/files/tech_files/Slide1.JPG
http://www.si-list.org/files/tech_files/Slide2.JPG
http://www.si-list.org/files/tech_files/Slide3.JPG

Some of the launch details _might_ be applicable to coplanar launches as
well.

Your goal of supporting 70 GHz in a SMA connector is going to be
challenging, if at all doable. You'll encounter all sorts of interesting
moding problems as the frequency increases.

Normal SMA connectors can be rated to 18 GHz and high performance ones
up to about 26 GHz. If you utilize APC 3.5 connectors you can get up to
around 34 GHz while APC  2.4 Connectors are supposed to support up to 50
GHz operation.

Anritsu has a bit of launch data on using K connectors with coplanar
waveguide ( http://www.anritsu.co.jp/Products/pdf_e/B04E_K.PDF )

Southwest Microwave has some documentation on using their parts with a
coplanar launch up to 40 or 50 GHz  (
http://www.southwestmicrowave.com/mpd/pdf/End_Launch.pdf )

A Google search on " coplanar  sma" should show up more sources.

-Ray  Anderson

Moeller, Merrick wrote:

>Experts,
>       I am looking for information regarding the design
>of a CPW launch for an edgemount coax connector. What
>are the best available resources for the design of CPW
>structures for testing, or otherwise?
>       What are some of the considerations in the
>design of a CPW? Do's and Don'ts would be good. I would
>like to support frequencies up to 70GHz.
>Regards,
>Merrick M. Moeller

.

List FAQ wiki page is located at: