[SI-LIST] Re: Board Layer Material Comparison

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rick.Baze@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 11:43:07 -0400

Rick

the N4000-13 SI material will provide several benefits based on it's
lower Er and lower Er of the SI-glass.

1) Reduced overall pcb thickness
2) Reduced local Er variation due to laminate fiberglass weave.
3) Increased power/ground plane resonant frequency, which extends the
useful range of operation of thin power/ground laminates.
4) Wider, lower-loss, traces for a given dielectric thickness.
5) Thinner dielectrics for equivalent trace width.

The downside

1) SI material is more expensive by about 20%
2) SI material is more costly to process, due to higher drill wear.
3) No advantage in dielectric loss over N4000-13 material.
4) Limited material laminate weaves available.

Baze, Rick wrote:

>A 30-layer board we are in process of designing is under discussion of
>materials to use and their related advantages and disadvantages.
>
>The current design has the top 8 layers using N4000-13 for signal/gnd, the
>next 12 layers using GETEK for power/gnd, and the bottom 10 layers again using
>N4000-13 for signal/gnd.
>
>The proposed design is all N4000-13 SI.
>
>The debate is what advantages/disadvantages there are between the two designs
>besides the original design requiring longer, more expensive processing.
>
>Feedback is greatly appreciated.
>
>Best Regards,
>Rick

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help:
>
>List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>                http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ
>
>List technical documents are available at:
>                http://www.si-list.org
>
>List archives are viewable at:
>               //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>or at our remote archives:

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax
(503) 750-6481 Cellular
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org