[SI-LIST] Re: Arguments against Thevenin bias/termination for ddr2 Vtt

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hreidmarkailen@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 16:02:53 -0700

Agathon I mostly agree with Bill here.  Taken point by point:

2. The PDN (Vddq) is used dc-coupled, so its behavior statistically
influences Vtt. That is, Vtt is more subject to Vddq and other noise.

Not necessarily so.  It depends on how you do the board layout and bypass for
Vddq in the Vtt area.  In the ideal case Vddq from the transmitter forwards to
the Vtt divider island.  In that case Vtt tracking against the actual switching
signals which is what we want can be better than a fixed Vtt, ie lower jitter.

3. Vtt is then subject to board PDN resonances.

Only if you have one giant cavity AND that cavity has resonance issues.  As
Bill infers if you have a significant resonance issue, that's a problem you
probably need to fix anyway.  The Thevenin case has a tendency to reduce cavity
Q.

4. The Thevenin method makes Vin (rcvr) more sensitive to Vddq noise
merely
from the linear network analysis point of view, or to Vtt offset at worst
case pullup/down values, than when Vtt is regulated and terminated with 50
ohms (nom.). ... I'm verifying this now; may not be true. I assume 1%
resistors.

At anything like the bit rate, whether you use a linear supply or not the
bypass scheme controls the noise.  In the Thevenin case you get much less
signal crosstalk for equivalent bypass impedance as with the end termination
into Vtt.  As mentioned before, whether or not other noise on the board impacts
the local Vddq is a design issue.

6. Vtt current switching noise is injected into the PDN. Not very nice if
layout or margins are poor.

A bad design is still a bad design.  Under the right circumstances a bank of
Thevenin terms could send one over margin, but it could for reasons stated
above just as likely pull a design that is out of margin back in due to the
increase in shared bypass and improved damping.  Either way the design is done
properly, or life is bad.  If the design is better off isolating Vddq in the
region of the terminations, that is an easy task.

Steve

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: