[SI-LIST] Re: Amplitude loss ?

  • From: Aubrey K Sparkman <asparky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, rajneesh shukla <rajneeshs123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 07:50:28 -0600

Rajneesh,

I think the issue is that you have not considered the relationship between
rise time and data rate.

Eric Bogatin wrote an article on "when loss matters".   Essentially, when
the data rate is slow with respect to the rise time or said another way,
when the signal makes it to a one or zero and stays there for some time
before another transition, then loss doesn¹t matter.   This is also when
when ISI is negligible.   For this case dielectric loss doesn't matter and
it takes a VERY long, narrow trace for the Ohmic loss to matter.

On the other hand, what has been discussed below is when ISI is very
significant and data rate is fast with respect to rise time.  In this
scenario, the transition will get only 50% to 70% (perhaps even loss for
very high data rates or long traces) of the way from Vmax to Vmin or back
before another transition starts.  It this case both ohmic (series) and
dielectric (shunt) loss matter.  Dielectric loss gets more discussion
because it it the dominant loss factor.

Does this help?

Aubrey Sparkman
SparkRight Solutions