[SI-LIST] Re: Amplitude loss ?

Thanks Steve but question remains unanswered !!

I agree there will be a loss in energy due to dielectric loss but I was
talking about loss in amplitude of signal (voltage) not loss in total
energy, Energy loss does not always translates into voltage loss, right ?
Receiver senses voltage( Potential Energy per unit charge) not total energy.

As per basic circuit theory, If I have a driver that has zero o/p impedance
is driving a 50 Ohm load and now if I connect 100 Ohm resistance across
this load, Though there is energy loss due to 100 ohm resistance but still
my load will see the same voltage, agree ?

In transmission line, If series loss i.e. conductor loss is zero then I
don't find the reason of any voltage drop in transmission line coz
dielectric loss which is shunt loss can only dissipate total energy but
can't change amplitude(voltage) of signal.

Do you find any discrepancy in this analogy ?

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM, steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Follow the energy.  Achieve enlightenment.  Of the energy that a shunt
> draws, how much of that energy remains available to the signal?
>
> Steve.
>  On 1/6/2012 12:54 AM, rajneesh shukla wrote:
> > Experts,
> > As we know for perfectly matched line insertion loss is due to ohmic&
> > dielctric losses and due to these losses we see loss in rise/fall time as
> > well as loss in amplitude of signal.
> >
> > My question is what actually affects amplitude loss, is it ohmic loss or
> > dielectric loss ? My understanding says, it should be ohmic loss as
> > it comes in series coz dielectric one is shunt loss. If this analogy is
> > correct then a channel having very low ohmic loss but significant
> > dielectric loss will have only changes in rise time but minimal amplitude
> > loss, right ??
> >
> > Rajneesh

> > http://www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> > For help:
> >

> > List technical documents are available at:
> >                  http://www.si-list.net
> >
> > List archives are viewable at:
> >               http://www.freelists.org/archives/si-list

> >               http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu
> >

> --
> Steve Weir
> IPBLOX, LLC
> 150 N. Center St. #211
> Reno, NV  89501
> www.ipblox.com
>
> (775) 299-4236 Business
> (866) 675-4630 Toll-free
> (707) 780-1951 Fax
>
> All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
> This e-mail may contain confidential material.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
> and notify the sender.

> List technical documents are available at:
>                http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at: