[SI-LIST] Re: Amplitude loss ?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rajneesh shukla <rajneeshs123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 03:34:05 -0800

Dielectric loss does not increase the effective impedance of either the
near-end or far-end ports.
Steve.

On 1/6/2012 3:14 AM, rajneesh shukla wrote:

> Thanks Steve but question remains unanswered !!
>
> I agree there will be a loss in energy due to dielectric loss but I
> was talking about loss in amplitude of signal (voltage) not loss in
> total energy, Energy loss does not always translates into voltage
> loss, right ? Receiver senses voltage( Potential Energy per unit
> charge) not total energy.
>
> As per basic circuit theory, If I have a driver that has zero o/p
> impedance is driving a 50 Ohm load and now if I connect 100 Ohm
> resistance across this load, Though there is energy loss due to 100
> ohm resistance but still my load will see the same voltage, agree ?

No I do not agree.  If you change the port impedance you will change the
amount of energy absorbed and the amount of energy reflected.

> In transmission line, If series loss i.e. conductor loss is zero then
> I don't find the reason of any voltage drop in transmission line coz
> dielectric loss which is shunt loss can only dissipate total energy
> but can't change amplitude(voltage) of signal.

No I do not agree.  If such a thing were true then you could heat your
coffee for free by making a long transmission line and setting your cup
on top of it.

> Do you find any discrepancy in this analogy ?

Yes:  Conservation of Energy and Ohm's Law.

--
Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV  89501
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: