[SI-LIST] Re: 2D vs 3D EM based signal integrity simulators

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Istvan Nagy <buenos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 18:53:22 -0500

> The timing is very tight on a DDR3-1066MHz bus or on a PCIe-kink, so
> every little detail problem on the board may cause the system to fail.
> They operate with almost zero margin when the board is well-designed.
> Can we predict these with any of the methods? (2D or 3D)
The short answer to your question is ... Yes.

We are able to correlate various solvers to highly accurate RF
measurements of structures and boards. The issue is effectively one of
RF signal return locality, as Yuriy discusses. Accuracy of a
solver-based solution is proportional to the locality of the RF return
path. The larger the area of the return path, the more additional
structures and materials that need to be encompassed by the modeling
environment, leading to higher cumulative error and variability of the
simulation vs. actual results.

For highly localized structures, correlation variability is < ? 5%. For
poorly localized structures which pull in larger planar areas,
correlation variability can approach ? 25%, depending on the frequency
band you are interested in. These are, of course, my personal estimates
based on the experience of our own internal research, and that of our
clients.

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed? is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

-

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net