[SI-LIST] Re: 2D vs 3D EM based signal integrity simulators

  • From: "Mark Scrivener" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:30:17 -0800

2D, 2.5D, and 3D aren't the only confusing labels out there. "full wave"
simulator is another abused label. There are many fast solvers on the market
(meaning they make approximations and simplifications) that advertise
themselves to be full wave. Nothing wrong with a fast solver - trying to
analyze a full package or PCB using a true 3D full wave solver would require
immense computational resources and a great deal of time. Unfortunately the
term "full wave" has become a semantics game and is misleading to the
customer.

I would advocate providing your own test cases for the tools you are
interested in evaluating. Run the same design on multiple tools - and see
how they handle your data. Even better if you have built the device and have
some measurements for correlation.

To address the original question - 2D and 2.5D are simply approximations
that enable problems to be solved faster - or a larger problem to be solved.
The question you need to ask - is the approximation valid for my problem?
The difficulty here is you don't always know what approximations the EDA
vendor has made - and they might not want to admit to some of them.
Furthermore - it is entirely possible that the EDA vendor is not aware of
some of the limitations of their tool. Just because a tool claims to be "3D"
or "full wave" doesn't mean it really is.

Disclaimer - I work for an EDA company that makes SI-PI tools.

Regards,

Mark Scrivener
E-System Design