[SI-LIST] Re: 2D, 2.5D,3D

  • From: "Zhou, Xingling (Mick)" <xlzhou@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'brian.young@xxxxxx'" <brian.young@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:56:11 -0500

Hi,

We are confusing ourselves because of the story. Here there are dimensions
about three quantities: Geometry, field and current (circuit concept).   In
some cases, we mixed them to have a name 2.5D.  Obviously, 2.5D becomes an
alias of planar structures in our society. If it is just a name, it's fine.
The problem is that we are trying to find reasons for this confusing word
although we do employ some special characteristics when we solve those
structures..

In classical electromagnetic theory, except for static cases, the field
distribution is always 3D even for 2D structures such as waveguides. The
phase term tells us the fact.  The current could even be 1D for ideal
transmission lines. The frequency domain telegrapher equations indicate the
conclusion. Only z is included.  However, in the time domain, it becomes 2D
if we use an abstract concept by counting the variables. Time is another
dimension. In relativity, we discuss 4D form of Maxwell' equations etc. We
can imagine some other special cases. Anyway, we can not have 2.5D in the
sense of classical dimension (either space or variable). The only
possibility is in the fractional theory. However, it is too far in our case.
I remember we do introduce fractional dimensions in the so-called
"fractional electromagnetics/electrodynamics". I believe we have experts of
the topic on this forum.

Shortly 2.5D is another name of planar structures to me.

Regards,

Mick