[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: suggestions on how to stop pup from biting so hard

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: betsy1r@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:13:35 EDT

In a message dated 8/9/2005 3:34:39 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
betsy1r@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
My son  bought a cute mix dog.  She is about 12 weeks old. The problem is
that  she  keeps biting and drawing blood on him and the kids (very sharp baby
teeth).  She gets real excited and plays real rough.   He  wanted to know what
he can do to stop the pup from biting.  He said he  tried spraying water on
her with the spray bottle, but she loves it...and  tried using a rolled up
newspaper to smack her nose, but she thinks it's a  game.

So I wanted to know if any of you out there has any  suggestions on how to
keep the puppy from biting so hard.

Thank you in  advance.

Betsy Reinier

Yes....

The next time she bites, he must place his hand on her backscull, and
leaning over her, quickly introduce her face to the floor while saying in a
gruff
voice "no bite".

(She may piddle on the carpet in submission, which is fine, means she "got
it", but don't correct that.)

Then, play immediately stops and he isn't to make eye contact (no matter  how
much she grovels).

By timing the correction correctly and making an impact he's doing a lot
more than nagging, plus I hate anything (paper, hand) swung toward the face of
dog.  I want them coming to my hand, never away from it.  By ignoring  her
after the correction, stopping the "game" and refusing eye contact,  he'll
cement the deal.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_