[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: THE LONG COATED SHEPHERD

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: CODAGSD@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 10:27:41 EDT

I've never kept one either Sharon.  I keep a small # of dogs and they  all
have to do double or triple duty...house companion, show/performance events
and possibly an occasional breeding.

The most important thing is they pass the "coffee test"...that is, day in,
day out, they bring a smile to my face as I enjoy that first cup of coffee
of  the day.

There are a lot of deal breakers for me.  Some have to do w/ the  standard
(light eyes, poor ear set, weak feet), some don't (I don't care for  some
allowable colors either).  But, no matter, it's my test.  I  figure if I'm the
one loving' on them and taking care of them, I can use my  test.

Coats have never appealed to me, it's just that simple.  I know some
people just fall all over them, and that's their right.  I know some coats  can
produce (as well as their pedigree and the overall quality of THIEIR own
litter) so no argument there.

But for me, plain and simple, they just aren't appealing.  Some  people
like chocolate, some vanilla.  The points Carolyn and Sally raise  are valid,
but I've never even gotten THAT far <G>.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 9/13/2009 10:08:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
CODAGSD@xxxxxx writes:

I've  never kept a long coat, but I would if she were great in other areas
needed for my breeding program. I have kept bitches with other faults, as
there is no perfect bitch. And, yes, sometimes that fault is a minor
movement
fault. Actually, there is no such thing, as all movement faults  are
considered serious by the Standard! One of my CH ROM bitches is a bit  wide
coming
at you and so are a few of her progeny, but by no means all,  and she also
produced an ROM bitch. So, I guess we all pick the faults we  can live with
and
others we can't.
Sharon
CODA GERMAN  SHEPHERDS