[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Missing Teeth

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:20:26 -0800

Others have posted that the answer is in the standard about a missing molar.
The truth is this... if the standard were the answer for everything (as it
should be --- but I can't say that is the case with the kind of judging I've
seen) --- then we wouldn't see the kinds of dogs being taken to the ring,
even by "pillars of the breed" that we do now.

The question is hard to answer Jackie --- the only way to answer it is to
evaluate the entire animal and then after that evaluation, factor into it
the missing tooth and realize that there are tooth freaks out there and
there are also judges who realize that a serious fault like ONE missing
molar is certainly less of a problem for the dog then say... stumpy rear
feet because the dog drags its toes so bad, or say, really poor coordination
and lack of correct athletic motion, or even a 30" gazelle (all leg, lack of
body & fine boned) with a dead tail.  All of those, IMO, are decidedly worse
than a really nice athletic animal with ONE missing molar.

But then, I suppose it all depends on who's in the middle of the ring.

Kathaleen