[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Judging and time

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx" <Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:23:34 -0600

Kathy, I realize that you were not there..so there are some things that you
wouldn't know. I think the time it took to do specials was longer that it
could have possibly have been because of the ultimate break down of
procedure. there were a couple of cases where a dog that had been placed in
the "non- consideration" group that got placed back into the
"consideration" group because of crowd support...however they were never
really a "consideration" and never got to compete. When they came out for
the second evaluation..they got cut again...but got put back into the
consideration group by the crowd support..only to not be considered again.
I know one dog that got reconsidered 3 times from the "non-consideration"
group and ultimately did not go select anyhow..so why prolong the agony if
you aren't going to really be considered? A great deal of time was spent on
evaluation of the dogs standing and not so much in motion.A few dogs and
bitches that in my opinion were good movers never got a chance to compete
as they weren't liked standing, but that is what the judge felt was
important. Cuts were generally made by a standing evaluation. the crowd
wanted to get behind some of the dogs/bitches that were movers..but were
never given the chance as many movers never got to lead and never had their
placing changed for comparative purposes. I think what people want is a
good evaluation of their dogs, as everyone wants to feel they got their
money's worth, but not redundancy. speaking for myself, I want to see a
comparison of the final animals chosen. After all, this is a dog show..and
people enjoy the excitement of comparing the animals..they love to get
behind  certain dogs..clap, scream...they love to see the first contenders
each get a chance to lead the class.This also gives the crowd who is
comprised of breeders and exhibitors looking for potential breeding
animals, more of an opportunity for evaluation and comparison of movement.
In my opinion, this is where more time needed to be spent.Mind you, I am
well aware that the crowd is not running the show..the judge is..and
ultimately it is his choice so don't think I am implying that the judge
should listen to the crowd for his choices!.We did not have a Special this
year, and to be frank, I only showed two young dogs as I wanted them to
have a good ring experience. So I had more time than usual to watch without
becoming emotionally involved. C.Grainger

Specials
> you have spent a LOT of time, money , sweat and maybe tears  getting him
or
> her to that point.  You bear the cost of the trip to  the National, the
stress,
> the advertising, the readying to SHOWCASE your  animal.  So you get
there,
> and you get one or two laps and out  you go.
> People go as much to show their dogs to the OUTSIDE of the ring, as the
> inside.  To sacrifice so much for two minutes is ridiculous, and
disheartening
> for owners.
>     THANK YOU Mr. Downing for allowing people to  see their dogs in the
big
> ring, and for giving enough time to each to allow  those OUTSIDE the ring
> appreciate and see the dogs. Win lose or draw ,  you let them "play"
which makes
> it a bit better for those that didn't make it  all the way. At least they
got
> something for their efforts.
> The dogs were WORKED, what a concept, to WORK  a Special, a dog that  is
in
> competition for the BEST dog on the day.  For that you are to be
commended.
> The creme will rise to the top in the working dogs, generally  speaking.
So